Wednesday, March 9, 2016

joining the Board

About ten days ago, I won an election to the Terwilliger Plaza Board of Directors.

Dear God, is that statement true? Yes, I think it must be, people keep stopping me in the hall to congratulate me or to tell me what they think the Board should be doing that it isn't. My actual term doesn't really start until March 24, when I will attend my first meeting as a Board member and may actually be able to take action, if only to vote "aye" on the motion to adjourn.

Meanwhile, it is amazing to suddenly be recognized by people I haven't met. (The Terwilliger resident who got me to come here seems able to remember not only the name but the personal history of every single person here. I would ask her for tips on how to do that, but I'm pretty sure it's one of those gifts granted to the few and envied by the many.) One person scolded me for being unserious about my new job because I cracked wise about it. But I think I get these few weeks before I have any actual responsibility to enjoy the giddy sense of incredulity at the content of my opening sentence.

Whee!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Sounds like it will be interesting and fun, and the Board is in for a treat! An era of enhanced critical thinking and thoughtful deliberation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that they're lucky that you're willing to serve. It sounds like such a special place that I don't understand why there aren't many housing situations like it. I hope you'll find them a congenial bunch of people to work with!

    ReplyDelete